Friday, January 19, 2007

Penguins & Pink Houses

I know that summer thus far has been bit of a fizzer, but I don’t think temperatures in Auckland are quite akin to that found in Antarctica.

However, the NZ Herald reports that the police had to rescue a penguin from the harbour-bridge yesterday evening:

But Operations Manager Murray Parker says it took all day to find it. He says when their barrier run was done at three this afternoon the penguin popped its head up. Mr Parker says his staff along with police safely rescued the bird. It appears the penguin walked from the Auckland side, almost to the top of the bridge.

The file picture used is of an Emperor penguin (until now, found only in Antarctica). The Emperor is the world’s largest penguin, and can grow up to 1.2 metres tall. I don’t understand why such a large penguin proved so hard to catch.

Perhaps the Herald doesn’t realize that there is more than one type of penguin. I think it more likely to have been a tiny Blue Penguin, not uncommon in the area.



I am also sad to note that the iconic Pink House on Mission Bay has been repainted in more sober olive hues.


Pink no more

Oh well. Owners Barry and Diane may have done us all a favour. Auckland has a dire shortage of olive and beige-toned houses.

5 comments:

Cactus Kate said...

Okay Mrs Smith, you are showing far too much knowledge and exercising of the mind for a housewife.

It's just a fucking penguin to the rest of us.

I simply do not believe your persona.

Anonymous said...

CK - what foul language to use on such a refined site. Mrs Smith could be Dame Edna for all I care, at least she gives us something different on the blogosphere.

Mrs Smith said...

Cactus - I do not believe your persona either. You are far too articulate and smart for a blonde.

Bless your heart, Mawm. I can assure you the only dame I bear a similarity to is Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame.

Cactus Kate said...

Mrs Smith - it's amazing what they can do with hair these days for several hundreds of dollars.

Mrs Smith said...

Quite, Dman. This global-warming thing isn't working properly at all. I'm going to do my part, and increase my use of carbons.